Law Offices of Stephen Kuperberg, LLC
Stephen Kuperberg brings over 25 years of experience counseling 340B stakeholders, guiding companies and individuals through government investigations and audits, and representing clients through litigation and trial to provide premier legal services in a boutique setting with a client focus.
340B Litigation and Advisory Lawyer
About Law Offices of Stephen Kuperberg, LLC
With over 25 years of experience in both private practice and public service, Steve Kuperberg began his own boutique law practice to focus providing legal services for 340B-eligible nonprofit hospitals and clinics and their stakeholders.
In private practice, Steve served as a partner with the litigation practices of Hogan Lovells and Rifkin Weiner Livingston, and as counsel with the litigation and 340B practices at Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville. Steve also served as a trial attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division National Criminal Enforcement Section, as well as an assistant state's attorney for Montgomery County, Maryland. Steve has first-chaired hundreds of cases to verdict before judges and juries at the state and federal levels.
Steve's experience extends beyond the law to issue education, engagement, and advocacy. After spending seven years leading nonprofit advocacy organizations in Washington, DC, Steve helped found Community Voices for 340B, the first educational nonprofit dedicated to promoting community awareness of and engagement regarding the 340B Program.
Steve is a cum laude graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, where he was inducted into the Order of the Coif honor society, served as a contributing editor to the University of Michigan Law Review, and was a semifinalist in the Campbell Moot Court competition. Following law school, Steve clerked for the Honorable Benson E. Legg on the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
Steve is a member of the Bars of Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- "3 Things Hospitals and Grantees Need to Know about the Genesis Decision," 340B Report, November 2023
- "340B and Dispute Resolution—Challenges and Opportunities," 340B Report, June 2020
- "Manufacturer Overcharges under 340B: How to Right a Wrong," March 2019 (with William von Oehsen)
- “Five Things Hospitals Can Do Now to Protect Themselves from EHR Incentive Payment Pitfalls,” Bloomberg BNA’s Medicare Report, August 2017 (with Mark Fitzgerald and Jim Pyles)
- “Cartel Investigations Under Trump: Turning the Page, or Throwing the Book?” BNA Banking and BNA Antitrust, February 6, 2017
- “Expert Analysis: Do Not Expect Lax Financial Enforcement Under Trump,” Law360, December 23, 2016
- “Whose Certification Is It Anyway? Limitations on Implied Certification Liability Under the Civil False Claims Act,” ABA Health Care Law Conference, January 2009 (with Jonathan Diesenhaus and Thomas Widor)
- Biweekly column for The Times of Israel, January to December 2012
- Maryland Procurement Alerts, 2021 to 2022 (with Scott Livingston and Barry Gogel)